So I thought I’d experiment with a plugin to help me better manage the ad blocks on my blog. The WordPress plugin Awesome Ads looked promising, so I tried it. Not only did it not work, it also threw my admin page into an endless loop of errors. This function not found in this php file. That function not found in another php file. Line 175 seemed like a problem.
Here’s how I fixed it. I won’t say it’s the right way, but it worked.
First I logged into the server, and did a cd /var/www/wordpress/wp-content/plugins, where I found the directory awesome-ads. To crudely disable it, I did an mv awesome-ads awesome-ads.bak.
I then attempted to access my admin page again. This time it worked, and it announced that it had disabled the Awesome-Ads plugin because it couldn’t find it.
But I didn’t want the cruft hanging around, and I also didn’t want the plugin hanging around where it could be accidentally re-activated. So I renamed it back with the command mv awesome-ads.bak awesome-ads. I then went to the plugins page, selected Awesome Ads, and clicked delete. WordPress asked for confirmation. I confirmed it, and it deleted the files. Now I have a clean uninstall.
Maybe Awesome Ads will work for you. Two or three people claim it works with the current version of WordPress, while some others claim it does not. But if it (or perhaps another plugin) goes out of control, here’s a way to regain it if you have shell access to your web server.