Once your train layout outgrows a single 80- or 90-watt transformer, finding room for a larger transformer (or bank of transformers) gets difficult.
A TV stand suitable for a CRT television (remember those?) provides a nice solution. I’ve been using my old TV stand for a good 7 years.
If you have a TV stand you aren’t using anymore, that’s a good way to repurpose it. If you don’t have any such thing, they’re pretty easy to find secondhand these days, and you can buy a new one for under $30.
- Building some cheap train shelves
- Why you need a voltmeter on your train layout
- How to make a Lionel train whistle
- What to do when a Lionel train suddenly can’t pull as many cars as it could before
- An easy fix for a Lionel ZW with dead posts